WHAT TO EXPECT FROM A COUNSELING THERAPY SESSION
During the first counseling session an assessment is completed. The client’s relevant life history is gathered (family life, work life, life stressors, emotional, mental and physical health), reason for seeking counseling, goals and desired length of therapy is considered. A treatment plan of areas to focus on is devised based on client’s needs.
Subsequent sessions are designed to support the client to make the necessary changes and desired goals.
The last or closing session is designed to help the client integrate the learning they have made in therapy to sustain the gains and continue practicing their skills in daily life.
Sometimes clients experience subsequent difficulties and challenges after the therapy is completed, therefore a few booster sessions are offered according to need to help the clients get back on track.
HOW DO I KNOW IF I COULD BENEFIT FROM INDIVIDUAL OR GROUP PSYCHOTHERAPY?
- I am experiencing difficulties with coping with life and stress
- I am feeling depressed, anxious or have challenges with managing my anger
- I have conflicts in my relationships (intimate, work, family, friends)
- I have experienced a loss (death of a loved one, divorce, relationship break-up)
- I am a parent and I have lost control of parenting my child
- My child, or other family member is diagnosed with a mental health illness of physical illness
- I need support in learning to cope with my physical illness
- I would like to make my marital relationship more positive
- I have a diagnosed mental health challenge such as depression , anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, eating disorder, or bi-polar disorder
- I have experienced trauma and abuse (emotional, mental, physical or sexual) in the past and need help to heal, let go and move forward
- I have low self-esteem
WHEN SHOULD I SEEK MORE INTENSIVE AND EMERGENCY BASED SERVICES?
- If I am in crisis and have suicidal thoughts and I am planning to hurt myself or have already hurt myself, I need to go to the nearest hospital emergency department.
- If I am in crisis and have a severe eating disorder and my physical health / life is in jeopardy, I need to go to my nearest hospital emergency department.
To schedule an appointment, please call us at 416 913 4325 (HEAL).
* DISCLAIMER: The information on this page is the property of Dr. Sushma Shah, Naturopathic Doctor, and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any diseases or promote any services or products mentioned on the website.