Are you getting enough healthy omega-3 essential fatty acids?
Various sources of information suggest the typical American diet is deficient in omega-3 fatty acids—health-promoting fatty acids commonly found
in fish—compared to the quantity of omega-6 fatty acids. In fact, it is believed that our ancestors consumed a ratio of 1:1 omega-3 to omega-6 fatty
acids, whereas today's diet consists of 1:15 to 1:16.7!
Alarmingly, this imbalance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids has been associated with a whole host of health issues, including:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Inflammatory diseases
- Autoimmune diseases
- And more
Alternately, increased levels of omega-3 fatty acids—either from supplemental fish oil or high amounts of dietary fish—have been found to have
suppressive effects on these diseases.
But recent concerns of environmental toxicity have led many individuals to be concerned about eating fish or taking supplemental fish oil—and with
good reason. Fortunately, you don't have to weigh the benefit/risk ratio. There is a healthy alternative to guarantee your omega-3 fatty acid
consumption—without the risk of environmental contaminants.
Purity-Certified Omega-3 Formulas
While it's difficult to completely avoid exposure to environmental pollutants from fish, you can avoid them with the right fish oil
supplements. Use a purity-certified fish oil supplement that assures the following three important qualifications:
- Fish selection. The utilization of fresh, clean, deep water fish that are known to be high in omega-3 essential fatty acids.
- Manufacturing process. A refinement process that includes the following production steps:
- Deodorization to remove materials that cause fishy taste. This process also removes potentially toxic PCBs and dioxins.
- De-acidification to remove various impurities.
- Bleaching (not with actual bleach, but clay and/or carbon and heat) to reduce heavy metals and other environmental pollutants.
- Molecular distillation purifies and concentrates the oil.
- Quality control. Every batch of oil is thoroughly tested at every step.
You can also sense the difference of a purity-certified omega-3 formula. They virtually have no fish taste or smell, and possess a light, clear
color. There is nothing fishy about purity-certified omega-3 fish oil supplements.
Are you concerned about getting enough health-promoting omega-3 fatty acids in your diet? Please schedule an appointment at my office. We can
discuss how a purity-certified omega-3 formula may supplement your dietary needs.