TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR IBD / INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE
There are various treatment options available for inflammatory bowel disease, both conventional and naturopathic. However, with naturopathic treatments, the focus is on treating the root cause of the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, as opposed to just managing them with various medications.
CONVENTIONAL TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR INFLAMMATORY BOWEL DISEASE
- For acute stages of the disease: corticosteroids
- For maintaining remission: anti-inflammatory agents, immunosuppressive agents, antibiotics, and anti-cytokine medications.
- Inflammatory bowel disease is the end result of a complex interplay of several key factors such as nutrition, stress, microbiology of the gut and toxin issues that must be addressed for the successful management of the disease.
- Persons with inflammatory bowel disease are at risk for several forms of malnutrition, and nutrition and the health of the bowels are a major consideration at each stage of the disease. The risk of malignant disease is increased, which may be associated with the increased proliferative state and several nutritional factors.
- Goals of treatment* are to induce and maintain remission and restore and maintain a healthy nutritional status, as well educate the patient as quite often patients with inflammatory bowel disease have fears and misconceptions regarding the significance of the GI symptoms, and the role of alternative medicine, foods and nutrition in treating and managing IBD.
- Naturopathic medicine has shown to be extremely beneficial in the treatment and the management of irritable bowel disease (depending on the severity of the disease).
* DISCLAIMER: The information on this article is the property of Dr. Sushma Shah, Naturopathic Doctor, and is not intended to treat, diagnose or cure any diseases or promote any services or products mentioned on the website.